Our History

History of St. Nicholas Church
1951 – The beginning

August 1951, Fourteen men and women met at the home of Dr. and Mrs. Walt Kanne (7021 Knox Ave. So., Richfield) their minds firmly made up about one thing; there was to be an Episcopal Church in Richfield. This meeting was followed by a much larger one in the lunch room of the Lincoln Hills School. Two representatives of the Episcopal Diocese were present: the Rev. Vernon Johnson, then Archdeacon of Ruralwork: and the Rev. Douglas Henderson, the Diocesan Director of Religious Education and later the Headmaster of Breck School.

As a result of this meeting, a mission Parish held its first service in Lincoln Hills School on January 7, 1951, enthusiasm unchilled by the 19 degree below day. Instead of an anticipated 25, more than 80 of the faithful arrived. There the growing congregation continued to meet through its period of self-establishment.